George St Pierre sharpens BJJ in Rio
MMA News Written by F. Machado
Friday, 13 June 2008
UFC welterweight champion, Canadian George St Pierre is enjoying some well deserved free time in Rio de Janeiro. But he is not just enjoying just a vacation at the beach. The UFC champ has been sharpening his Jiu-Jitsu with some of the most traditional BJJ teams in Rio de Janeiro: Nova União and Gracie Barra. "If I knew how good was it, I would come here earlier", said a relaxed George St Pierre, who watched the May 31st edition of Jungle Fight Warriors, held in Rio de Janeiro at the UFC heavyweight champion Rodrigo Nogueira Minotauro's facility.
George talked about his impressions of the training. "It has been an wonderful time. I am really impressed with the high quality of the training", stated the Canadian, who visited and did not care about the BJJ rivalry between Nova União and Gracie Barra on the mats. "I was welcomed in both places. To be honest, in Canada BJJ has been getting developed and there is no such as rivalry between teams. So this is a kind of new thing for me", said St Pierre, adding: "I started in Jiu-Jitsu by Wagnney Fabiano's hands and training with the guys at Nova União was very good. I learned good positions", guaranteed the fighter.
Besides Jiu-Jitsu, George talked about UFC and Anderson Silva. "I know Silva and he is a nice guy. A great fighter inside and outside the octagon. I respect him a lot and he is in a great phase of his career. But the truth is nobody is unbeatable, but if he keeps doing the same job he has been doing be sure he will keep his belt for a long, long time", said the champion.
With a fixed eye on the octagon of Jungle Fight Warrios, Georges saw great bouts and few knock-outs, such as Johnny Eduardo's over Erinaldo Pitbull and Alan Frois's over Ricardo Pessanha. Check out the full results of the event which George St Pierre saw from the ring side:
Jungle Fight Warriors
May 31st, 2008
Nogueira Brothers Facility Rio de Janeiro
- Ronnys Torres (Nova União) submitted Francinei Farinaze (Minotauro Team) by RNC at 2R.
- Paulo Thiago (Constrictor Team) submitted Paulo Cavera (Macaco Gold Team) by kata-gatame at 1R;
- Thiago Jambo (Minotauro Team) defeated Everton Santana (Macaco Gold Team) by referee's decision;
- André Tadeu (Clube de Luta) KO'd Daniel Moraes (ICJG) at 2R;
- Johnny Eduardo (Boxe Thai/ Nova União) KO'd Erinaldo Pitbull (Gracie Fusion) at 1R;
- Eric Silva (Alliance-ES) submitted Carlos Eduardo dos Santos (RFT) by RNC at 3R;
- Alan Frois (MGT) KO'd Ricardo Pessanha (Alliance - Campos) at 1R;
- Leonardo Tangerina (Gracie Fusion) defeated Bruno Menezes (Champion - BA) by split decision.