LOS ANGELES (Dec. 11, 2007) – This Saturday’s fight between EliteXC and ICON Sport middleweight champion Robbie Lawler and Kala Kolohe Hose was officially cancelled Monday. The announcement was made during a late afternoon press conference in Honolulu.
“We were all really looking forward to this event and to this fight because, style-wise, Lawler-Hose was going to be a great one,’’ said EliteXC Live Events President Gary Shaw. “Robbie is a great world champion, but, unfortunately, injuries can happen to athletes in all sports.
“I feel badly for the fighters and the fans in Hawaii, who are some of the best in the word. Once Lawler is healthy, we are going to begin working to make the fight happen.’’ The world title match had to be called off after Lawler (robbielawler.proelite.com) completely tore his right bicep while doing wrestling drills last week.
“I heard something pop when I was doing a Muay Thai clinch,’’ said Lawler, who flew in from St. Louis to attend the press conference.
“I thought it was a minor thing so I took it easy for a few days. I felt good enough to go bowling, but when I tried to swing the ball, I felt a horrible pain, like my arm had collapsed. It was definitely much worse than I thought.’’
A doctor confirmed the injury, which will keep Lawler sidelined approximately six weeks.
“I want to apologize to everybody,’’ Lawler said. “I am deeply sorry for the fans and the media, the promoters, Patrick and T. Jay, but, most importantly Kala Kolohe. I also want to apologize to all the undercard fighters that sacrificed and trained hard but now have to wait for another opportunity.’’
So, too, will Hose, after a second consecutive fight with Lawler fell through. Hose and Lawler were scheduled to clash in June but the event was postponed after Lawler suffered a shoulder injury.
Hose (kalakolohehose.proelite.com), who is known as “The Hawaiian Rocky Balboa’’ and trains in a garage, was more than disappointed on Monday.
“I’m heartbroken,’’ he said. “I trained so hard and gave up so much of myself for this chance to fight Lawler. To have two fights not happen is very hard on not only me, but my family and team. This was going to be my big shot. But, once again, it went out the window. But my time will come.’’
Promoters fought intensely to salvage the show, but Hose was adamant that his next fight be against Lawler. Ultimately, however, Hose was offered a prominent spot on the ShoXC: Elite Challenger Series card Jan. 25, 2008, on SHOWTIME, which he accepted. Win or lose, he will remain the ICON No. 1 contender.
“We all feel just terrible about this, but ICON Sport is committed to giving its fans the best possible events,’’ Thompson said. “We really wanted this show to happen and tried hard to save it.
“But to meet our fans’ high expectations and after speaking with Kala and Lawler, we reached a decision to delay the “Fearless” world title matchup and undercard.
“A new date will be announced very soon.’’